Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Week 4, #9 Blog feeds

Technorati, Topix, Feedster, GoogleBlogsearch, and Syndic8 all search for blogs using "tags" (what we librarians used to call keywords). A useful link was the School Library blogs , which searches specifically for library blogs. My favorites were Gargoyles loose in the library and Wanderings. Gargoyles has a lot of great pictures and I enjoy seeing what other librarian's days are like. Wanderings is content-rich, with archives of past blogs with clear informative titles. Now that I am aware of and looking for the RSS feed icon, I see that many online newspapers do offer RSS feed subscriptions, and I am astonished at the breadth of information available free. At Topix, I can subscribe to stories about my home town, and in one day found articles and information about an incident last weekend from several different newspapers and syndicated sources that did not appear in our local papers. I doubt I'll ever be asked to be on a jury again.

3 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Thank you for introducing me to Gargoyes loose in the library. Good to see you are getting a lot from your discovery learning journey. Best wishes.

IrmaPince said...

Setting up RSS feeds for special class projects is also a handy way to use those little orange icons!

sandypuma2 said...

Thank you all for your support and encouragement!